Friday, 6 March 2015

Team Building Exercises




Someone in the office just said their department head has suggested strongly...as in:



I nearly peed myself laughing at the possibility of a 'Team Building Exercise' led by this person.

Of course, I suggested 'Why not paintball? It brings out the best in people.'

Yes, of course it does.

I went on a Paintball Team Building Exercise once.

It was great fun.

I got to shoot all the people I just didn't see eye to eye with a gun which utilized compressed air to basically shoot marbles made of paint.

In the crotch.

What's not to like?

I believe if that particular manager were to go on a Paintball TBE, they would need to perhaps invest in some good goggles and padding:



And even then, they'd still probably be peppered with bruises...

Ah, management...

...about as useful in modern society as the career politician. (I had a discussion with a friend at work today about how those two modern societal constructs are probably the reason we as a collective haven't reached higher levels of intellectual/social/economic development).

But that would be a whole different discussion for a whole different day.

Been reading American Sniper, after having seen the film with some friends last week. Now, I haven't had a chance to finish it yet (I am about 70% done), so I cannot give a full 'review' of it, but I'd have to say that perhaps some of the reviews grossly slagging it fail to hit upon one crucial piece of the puzzle:

The book is the experience of Chris Kyle, as seen through his eyes and put to pen (alright, under the supervision of an editor).

Yes, there is an unabashed, unapologetic and features an unending amount of US flag-waving.

Yes, he has an overly developed sense of black and white (who is good and who is bad).

Yes, it builds up quite nicely in the action sequences only to let you down by crescendo-ing with 'And I shot him' denying those who want a more in-depth look at the 'How' in the dark.

Yes, the dialogue is cliched and poor (well, poor isn't correct here. If a person in real life speaks in that manner, then you just have to accept that).

Yes, he does come across at times as a bit of a 'Richard' (keeping this blog tidy...what a challenge).

But it is HIS point of view of his experiences as a Navy Seal Sniper.

Whether you like it or not, it is a treasure trove into an understanding of what the warrior mentality is.

It doesn't mean all men and women who serve in their respective armed forces share that particular view of life, love and war.

But it presents a very interesting analysis of the psyche that made him who and what he was.

And I'm finding it fascinating BECAUSE it gives you that insight, whether it is something you like or empathize with or not.

I only wish Clint Eastwood would have used the underwater nighttime training exercise shark scene from the book in the film.

Can we Mr. Eastwood? Can we?



Aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment